Thursday, March 10, 2011
Seminar on Disasters : Perception and Mitigation, North Bengal University, 11/12Mar2011
DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY & APPLIED GEOGRAPHY
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH BENGAL
UGC SAP DRS I SEMINAR, 2011
DISASTER: PERCEPTION AND MITIGATION
First day: 11th March, 2011
INAUGURATION: 10.30 A.M TO 11.15 A.M.
· Inaugural Song
· Welcome Address by Coordinator SAP and Convener of the Seminar: Prof. S. Sarkar
· Felicitation of the Guests
· Inauguration of the Seminar by Lighting up the lamp
· Inaugural Address by Dean Arts, Commerce and Law, University of North Bengal: Prof. J. Sankrityayna
· Keynote Address by Prof. V. C. Vaidya, Pune University
· Vote of Thanks by Deputy Coordinator, SAP & Organizing Secretary of the Seminar: Dr. S. Rohatgi
TEA: 11.15 A.M. TO 11.30 A.M.
FIRST TECHNICAL SESSION: 11.30 A.M. TO 1.00 P.M.
Chairperson: Prof. V.C. Vaidya
Rapporteur: Dr. D. K. Mandal, NBU
· Dr. Chinmoy Pal, GSI: Landslide Inventory Mapping in Sikkim Darjeeling Himalayas
· Mr. Saibal Ghosh, GSI: Selecting and weighting spatial predictors for empirical modeling of landslide susceptibility in the Darjeeling Himalayas (India)
· Wng Cdr Praful Rao, Save the Hills: Landslide Hazards in Kalimpong and our experience in working with the communities.
· Mr. Manv Prasad, Cdr 764 BRTF: Landslide problems on NH 31 A
· Mr G.N. Raha (IMD), Gangtok: Extreme rainfall events in this region in the past and likely trends
LUNCH: 1.00P.M. TO 2.00 P.M.
SECOND TECHNICAL SESSION: 2.00P.M. TO 3.30 P.M.
Chairperson: Prof. V. K. Kumra
Rapporteur: Dr. R. Roy, NBU
· Prof. Zahid Hussain Quereshi, NEHU: Fluvial hazards in Northeast India: Perception and Mitigation
· Prof. Arabindo Ghosh, Jadavpur Univsersity: Landslide Management in Hilly Areas
· Prof. A.K. Bora, Gauhati University: Flood hazard and its Mitigation in Lower Brahmaputra Valley
· Ms. Debadita Sengupta, Coordinator, State Interagency Group, West Bengal: Mitigating disaster impact through Interagency coordination
· Miss. Writuparna Chakraborty A.B.N.Seal College & Mr. Hirak Dam, Sadar Govt. High School, Cooch Behar: Disaster Management and Mitigation: With Reference to Earthquakes
TEA: 3.30 P.M. TO 3.45 P.M.
THIRD TECHNICAL SESSION: 3.45 P.M. TO 5.15 P.M.
Chairperson: Dr. Chinmoy Pal
Rapporteur: Dr. S. K. Bhattacharya, NBU
· Prof. D. K. Nayek, NEHU: Social construction of Natural hazards: A case of flood.
· Dr. Madhusan Karmakar, Maynaguri College: Disaster Management Planning at village Level: A study of North Bengal
· Mr. Prabir Kundu and Ms. Jayshree Sarkar, Siliguri Mahila Mahavidyalaya: The factor of slope instability and landslide: its mechanism and mitigation in Darjeeling Himalaya
· Mr. Somenath Haldar and Barnali Das, Kaliachak College: Disaster and Perception: a case study of 2000 flood scenarios of Murshidabad district with special reference to RS and GIS
· Miss Ranjita Roy Sarkar, K.G.T. College: Disaster Mitigation: Role of Communication, Leadership Coordination, Warehousing and Stockpiling
· Mr. Tamal B. Roy, Mr. Sanjay Saha, Mr. Bipul Chandra Sarkar: Atmospheric Disaster, Causes, Consequences and Mitigation Measures with special reference to devastating Tornado – A Case Study of Uttar Dinajpur.