Objectives of STH
- To work towards prevention , mitigation and management of landslides hazards in the
and Sikkim Himalayas. Darjeeling
- To develop and enhance public and govt awareness of the causes, effects of landslides through all means possible and thereby reduce disaster risk through hazard awareness.
- To conceive of and implement capacity building measures to the extent possible in order to make the community more resilient to landslide disasters.
- To monitor/report and visit landslide areas so as to create a database on landslides in the
and Sikkim Himalayas (with the possible causes of landslides). Darjeeling
- To monitor rainfall through satellite based reports and other means so as to alert communities of the threat of possible landslides.
- To liaise with GSI and other scientific agencies during surveys so as to provide assistance and accurate local knowledge inputs.
- To network with other NGOs and govt agencies so as to increase knowledge about landslides and earthquakes.
- To participate in and organize workshops with a view to enhance disaster education about landslides and earthquakes.
- To participate in relief, rehabilitation and reconstruction work to the extent possible after landslides/earthquakes.