The core 5 km radius of the Darjeeling Municipality with all its amenities of water, sanitation, housing and offices was planned and developed in the 1930s for approximately 20000 to 30000 people.
Today, the town has grown beyond the core 5 km radius to an area of 7.83 sq km and extends from Jorebunglow to Ging Bazar divided into 32 wards and has a population of 1,03,379 (1991 census). The physical area of the town of 7.83 sq km is an administrative boundary, in reality the socio-ecological boundary extends much beyond the defined area. The growth has been unplanned and the amenities developed in the 1930s are still used to cover the lakhs in the town today.
The solid waste management practice adopted today is unhygienic and unscientific causing tremendous problems of health and environment not only to
With the dramatic increase in population and changing consumption patterns,
Rotting waste lying about in streets and jhoras has created an unhealthy environment in
EXISTING ATITUDES in
- MY CLEANLINESS is all that matters!
- ROLL DOWN the waste- somewhere, anywhere but OUT OF MY SIGHT!
- WILL ACCOMMODATE SOME SMELL AND SIGHT as one cannot roll down the waste
- BLAME GAME – everyone else except I am the cause of
’s dirt. Darjeeling
“CONTAMINATE YOUR BED, AND YOU WILL ONE NIGHT SUFFOCATE IN YOUR OWN WASTE”
WHAT CAN I/WE DO?
- Bring about BEHAVIOURAL CHANGE
- I AM/WE ARE RESPONSIBLE
- SEGREGATE WASTE AT HOME/PRIMARY LEVEL INTO BIO-DEGRADABLE AND NON-BIODEGRABLE WASTE
- REDUCE /REUSE/RECYCLE
- REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF WASTE I/WE PRODUCE
- REUSE CREATIVELY ALL POSSIBLE PRODUCTS I/WE USE
- RECYCLE ALL RECYCLABLE PRODUCTS THAT I/WE USE
- COMPOST ALL BIO-DEGRADABLE WASTE
- BE A CONSCIOUS CONSUMER AND CITIZEN REFUSING TO LITTER AND USE POLYBAGS, PLASTIC CUPS etc.
- OFFER CHANGE TO OTHERS
DLR Prerna c/o Hayden Hall Complex,